Tuesday, November 30, 2010

You can do it!

I have learned in the creative world there is no such thing as an original idea. You may think you just thought up the most unique crafting idea only to find out there are talented artists who have been doing it or designing it for a long time.
When I first started my Etsy shop I was very concerned with not sharing any of my design secrets, as if no one could just Google it and find out how to do it on their own anyway.

Just look around any of the Etsy, Artfire or any of the handmade online stores and you will find vendor after vendor selling almost the exact same items.
Oh well I guess there's enough consumers out there for everyone.

All that to say I wanted to share with you my latest design and show you how you could make it too.

These little shabby chic -esque  flowers are simple and can be used for so many things. I made them in 2 different sizes here I'm going to show you the smaller 2"x2" size.


First thing is you'll need coordinating fabrics I used 4 different patterns.
Cut 7 pieces into 2"x2" squares.
Then round out the corners so you'll have 7 circles.

Next fold the circles in 1/2 and then in 1/2 again so you'll get a small triangle. Secure with a pin do the same to 3 more.
I tack them with just a few stitches at the end so they don't come apart. It's a simple step that will avoid any headaches later on.

Using one circle for your base start attaching the triangle pieces to the base by gluing them one by one. Until you have four going all the way around the base.






The two center petals are folded in 1/2 with right sides together. And instead of folding them into a triangle just take a little dart at the bottom. I do this because I've found that when the center petals open up you'll be able to see the right side of the fabrics.

Once you have attached all six petal pieces let the glue dry completely. Then with your fingers fluff the petals up so that the edges get a bit ragged around the edges.
3"x3" squares
2"x2" squares
And there you have it. It's easy and really cute! But if you still don't want to try stop by my Etsy shop where you can order a few!

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Thank you for your sweet blog comment and for adding my button !! That is so sweet of you :) I'm going to add yours too... but I was wondering... can you share my code back to me lol I accidently deleted mine from my sidebar ..... I can't believe I did that ... I'm going to have to have my blog friend help me add the share box back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!...and a flower by any means is a good thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Thx for sharing. i will try this this wkend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    Beautiful blog as well!

    ReplyDelete