Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A New Thing or Two "Whats for dinner?"


Those words can send me running for the hills. Don't get me wrong I enjoy cooking, most of the time, and when my girls were younger I cooked a lot more than I do now. But answering the question "what's for dinner and what are we having tomorrow?" just drove me nuts.

So when I found this project for a Menu Board I had to try it.

What you'll need:

A picture frame with glass (I used an 8.5x11).

One piece of patterned paper, I used scrapbook paper with a small pin dot so that it wouldn't obstruct the writing.

Computer and printer. 

10 inches of coordinating ribbon.

Thin point dry erase marker.


Step 1- If your paper isn't trimmed to 8.5x11 trim it so that it will fit in your printer paper tray.


Step 2 - Open up a word processing application (I used Word) and center the word "menu" at the top of the page. Then on the left hand margin type in the days of the week and print.
I printed it a couple of times until I got the word placement just right. When I had it the way I wanted I then placed my scrapbook paper in to print.


Step 3 - Place the printed paper in the picture frame and close the back.

Step 4 - Tie the ribbon around the dry erase pen and attach to the back of the frame. You don't have to do this step but it keeps the pen from getting lost.





And that's it, you are ready to tell the whole family what's for dinner or what you'd like them to make you for dinner.

Mine sits on top of my refrigerator and believe it or not my family checks it when they come in the kitchen!
This also makes a great house warming or thank you gift. And don't forget Christmas is only 88 days away!

Let me know what you think...go give it a try!

18 comments:

  1. Great idea. It would probably help me be more organized. I wanna eat at your house!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's too cute.

    My teenagers drive me batty with this question.

    I might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute idea!! Now I just need you to come to my house and cook all those great dinners ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to do this with other things as well, because Tim and I have NO short term memory!! Oh, I just started a blog - would you tell me what you think? http://www.leshasworkshop.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute project. I just need to come up with some tasty sounding synonyms for "leftovers."

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very cool! I need to make one of these as my younger kids get older 'cause I'm already tired of hearing them ask what's for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!

    I've got an award for you over at my blog. You can get it here http://augmentedgem.blogspot.com/2010/09/awarded-while-in-recovery.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea!!! Perfect for a party or holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute idea - especially if I can write "Daddy's night to cook -ask him" in a few of the spots. Also -- yikes! Only 88 days to Xmas?! I didn't need to see that!
    Heidi (@mybeadtherapy)
    mybeadtherapy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute idea. This would be nice for a dinner party too.

    Found you on SITS today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi just found your blog via the blog awards where I am also featured. I thought I would check out the other blogs featured on there. Well done. Glad I found your blog. Looking forward to seeing future tutorials. Come by and check out my blog. Sarah www.jamarahcraftycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I should try making this soon.

    ReplyDelete